BLOW BY BLOW: THIS WEEK IN BOXING PART 5
Leave A Comment With Facebook
Welcome to Part 5 of our Blow by Blow series, where every week we take a look back at the boxing news. We’ll briefly cover the big news, as well as some things that may have slipped past your radar.
Live boxing this Sunday on ESPN, CANCELLED.
This Saturday #7 ranked WBA Super-Flyweight Norbelto Jimenez was set to fight Eliezer Aquino in a 10-rounder at the Coliseo Carlos ’Teo’ Cruz in the Dominican Republic.
This fight was a rematch of their 2013 fight which ended in a Draw a clash of heads ended the fight early. The fight, set to air on ESPN Latin America, was canceled by the Dominican government after they ruled that the event “was not in line with the health protocol” the Dominican government had implemented related to the coronavirus pandemic.
Hearn and White organising Ngannou and Whyte.
Eddie Hearn revealed earlier this week that he has been in touch with UFC top-dog Dana White to discuss the proposition of a crossover fight between Francis Ngannou and Dillian Whyte more seriously. Hearn initially didn’t give the idea a lot of attention, but after doing a bit of homework on the PPV numbers it could generate, the fight has landed a prospective date in his calendar between Whyte’s fights with Alexander Povetkin and Tyson Fury.
Tony Bellew also gave his twopence, saying that while he knows Ngannou is a solid fighter in MMA, he “stands absolutely zero chance in a boxing ring,” We agree, Tony.
George Groves still sour about first loss to Carl Froch.
Groves said earlier this week on SkySports’ The One That Got Away podcast, “I’m not taking anything away from him, but I definitely would have liked another minute – I probably would have put him away.”
He explained that he believes he could have beaten Froch in their first fight if he’d just had a little more time after the knockdown. Froch responded to the comments from Groves saying there was no way, “No, another minute wouldn’t have helped him, because I’m brutal. So tough and strong and I recover quick, I’ve got a granite jaw”.
Otto Wallin gunning for more big-name heavyweights.
Building on the exposure and experience he gained from his 2019 fight with Tyson Fury, Otto Wallin is looking to take on other big-name heavyweights, including Dillian Whyte and Anthony Joshua. His promoter said, “Otto has proved his world-class abilities in his last fight versus Tyson Fury, and in the near future can be ready for Joshua and Whyte.”
Wallin is currently ranked #15 by the IBF, #30 by the WBC, and is unranked by both the WBA and WBO.
Eddie Hearn backs DAZN to pull through COVID-19
Responding to an article by the Financial Times on the uncertain future of DAZN and the resulting rumors on social media. Eddie Hearn took to Instagram Live to quash the ideas that the streaming giant is in trouble.
Hearn confirmed that he has meetings with DAZN executives today, May 29th, to organize the upcoming boxing schedule. He said there’s nothing to worry about and that DAZN, and Billionaire owner Len Blavatnik, are doing just fine despite COVID-19.
Mike Tyson receiving multiple offers
Tyson’s phone must be ringing off the hook right now, as he’s received fight offers from every fringe fight promoter and aging MMA star on the northern hemisphere over the past two weeks.
He got offered a reported $20million by the Bare Knuckle Fighting Championships to face anyone in their Heavyweight roster, which includes Shannon Briggs and ex-UFC stars Wanderlei Silva and Tito Ortiz. Tyson already refused this offer.
There was also a $1million offer, plus a $200,000 charitable donation, to make a full comeback to boxing, from Classic Entertainment and Sports. Promoter Jimmy Burchfield Sr offered Tyson a match with his 32-year-old 6′ 4″ Heavyweight Joe Cusumano. Cusamano has a record of 18-3 and is ranked 124th worldwide, 26th in the US. No word from Tyson yet about this offer.
Marcos Maidana might fight Amir Khan.
Maidana has been looking in phenomenal shape recently, compared to how he looked last year. As is customary with retired fighters in 2020, he announced he would love to make a comeback to boxing, with qualms in fighting Amir Khan.
The 36-year-old Maidana is a true legend of the sport and is only 3 years older than Khan. He retired in 2014 after losing to Floyd Mayweather and has not kept active since then, gaining a lot of weight and generally looking like he was fully enjoying retirement. ‘El Chino’, in a video posted to Twitter by his promotional company @chinomaidanabox, stated in Spanish “I think I beat Khan now… I don’t think easily, but I feel good.”
Of all the comebacks touted in 2020, this might be the most realistic one, also offering the highest-level boxing. We tend to think that if Maidana can really get himself in top shape, he handles Khan even now.
Top Rank safety plan OK’d by Nevada commission.
Bob Arum seems to have laid the groundwork for a great event in Vegas on June 9th at the MGM Grand. The card will be headlined by Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo, with Michaela Mayer vs. Helen Joseph receiving 2nd billing. NSAC executive director Bob Bennett said that even though Top Rank hasn’t finalized the plan yet, from what they’ve seen so far, it’s looking good.
That’s all from this week’s Blow by Blow. We hope we’ve covered the main points for you, be sure to check out our more in-depth articles coming each day.
Why not check out last weeks Blow By Blow Part 4