Callum Smith Next Fight To Headline DAZN Liverpool Card On March 11
Promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed via Twitter last week that former world super middleweight champion, Liverpool’s Callum Smith (29-1, 21 KOs) will return to the ring on March 11 at Liverpool’s 9,000-capacity M&S Bank Arena (formerly Echo Arena) live on DAZN.
Smith is the WBC’s mandatory challenger at a 175-pounds and is guaranteed the winner of Artur Beterbiev vs Anthony Yarde, which takes place on Jan 28 in Wembley, with no exceptions. Smith will have a fight on March 11 to stay active before facing the Beterbiev-Yarde winner.
Kalle Sauerland hinted in a Boxing Social interview after Lyndon Arthur‘s win on Friday that there was a big fight in the pipeline for him. “It’s always difficult to take a fight when something big is on the horizon, people will understand soon what I mean by big.”
Rumours seemed to suggest that a fight between Smith and Arthur was in the works for March 11. Eddie Hearn told ID Boxing that he would “Love to make that fight.” The promoter confirmed there were conversations with Wasserman about matching the pair together and with Arthur’s win on Friday, they will advance further next week.
Hearn “I think that’s a really good fight. Liverpool against Manchester. We’d like to (make that fight).”
Callum Smith also told IFL TV last week that he is open to considering an offer to fight unbeaten domestic rival Joshua Buatsi (16-0, 13 KOs) next. “I want a fight (before the Beterbiev Yarde winner). If his team wants to make me an offer, it’s an offer I’ll consider. I haven’t had any offers. I want to fight in March and then roll into the world title.”