Callum Smith vs Joshua Buatsi Possible For March 11 In Liverpool Reveals Eddie Hearn
Former world super middleweight champion, Liverpool’s Callum Smith (29-1, 21 KOs) told IFL TV earlier this week that he is open to considering an offer to fight unbeaten domestic rival Joshua Buatsi (16-0, 13 KOs) next.
Eddie Hearn, who promotes both light heavyweights, revealed in an interview with ID Boxing that they have started to speak to Smith’s team about a clash with Buatsi including financial details.
Smith is the WBC’s mandatory challenger at a 175-pounds and is guaranteed the winner of Artur Beterbiev vs Anthony Yarde, which takes place on Jan 28 in Wembley, with no exceptions.
Hearn confirmed via ID Boxing that ‘Mundo’ would return to the ring on March 11 at Liverpool’s 9,000-capacity M&S Bank Arena (formerly Echo Arena) before facing the Beterbiev-Smith winner.
Buatsi had previously told boxing media that their promoters, Hearn’s Matchroom, had proposed a fight between them. Representatives of Smith’s management, STN Sports, indicated that a Smith vs Buatsi fight was unlikely to occur. Nevertheless, Smith has now revealed he is willing to risk his shot in a battle with Buatsi.
“I want a fight (before the Beterbiev Yarde winner). If his team wants to make me an offer, it’s an offer I’ll consider. I haven’t had any offers. I want to fight in March and then roll into the world title.”
Smith told IFL TV that he wants to return in March before facing the Beterbiev Yarde winner. The world #1 challenged his promoter and team Buatsi to offer him a fight against the Londoner and confirmed he would be considering it.
Whether a fight materialises between the two or not is yet to be seen especially with the possibility of Matchroom/DAZN having the chance to stage both Beterbiev Smith and Dmitry Bivol – Buatsi because Bivol will need an interim fight before a contracted Canelo rematch.