Mandatory Challenger Callum Smith Determined To Land Chance At Unified Champion Beterbiev
Former world super middleweight champion, Liverpool’s Callum Smith (29-1, 21 KOs), who is the WBC mandatory challenger, told Sky Sports that he intends to push for his shot at unified light heavyweight champion, Artur Beterbiev (19-0, 19 KOs) for Beterbiev’s next fight.
Although most fans would prefer an undisputed matchup between Beterbiev and WBA champion Dmitry Bivol, Smith is determined to uphold his mandatory shot against Beterbiev.”I’ve done my part. I’ve become mandatory so I can sit and wait and fight for three of the belts.”
The Liverpudlian stopped France’s WBC #2 Mathieu Bauderlique in a final eliminator on the Usyk-Joshua 2 undercard to earn his shot.
Smith is confident that he can pull off the upset. “I’ve seen other fighters hurt him and put him over, I fully believe I can. I’m in my peak years now and the time to beat him is now.”
Callum Smith’s promoter Eddie Hearn has previously told Boxing Social that he wants to stage a fight between Mundo and Beterbiev at the 53,000-capacity Anfield Stadium in Liverpool.
However, Hearn may have to win a purse bid to take the fight to Anfield or to stage it on DAZN at all. Beterbiev’s promoter Bob Arum may want to place that fight in Canada or the United States and with a 70-30 split in favour of the Canadian-Russian at purse bids, it will be easier for them to do so.
Before that, Smith will have a fight on March 11 at the M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool, live on DAZN, to stay active. The opponent is yet to be confirmed but is expected to be a world-ranked contender.
On the undercard, Britain’s Robbie Davies Jr (23-3, 15 KOs) and Australia’s Liam Paro (23-0, 14 KOs) will meet in a super lightweight contest. Leading prospects, 21-year-old Californian Diego Pacheco (17-0, 14 KOs) will make his UK debut against fan favourite, Little Lever’s Jack Cullen (21-3-1, 9 KOs).
Both undercard fights were first reported by NoSmokeBoxing.