Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr postponed no smoke boxing news

THE MIKE TYSON VS ROY JONES JR. FIGHT IS NOW OFFICIALLY POSTPONED UNTIL NOVEMBER

Leave A Comment With Facebook

Both Mike Tyson and Roy Jones jr. were set to clash in the much talked about exhibition fight which involved them both coming out of retirement in their 50’s… Nevertheless, the representatives have now canceled the California-based pay-per-view show, expected to be broadcast on Triller and branded as ‘Frontline Battle.’

According to The Athletics’ Mike Coppinger and The Ring’s Ryan O’Hara, the eight-round boxing match between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. initially set to take place on Sept. 12th, has been tentatively delayed until Nov. 28th.

The battle has been moved back as Tyson’s staff thought PPV buys might be maximized by rescheduling, with Jones supporting the move. This event is still scheduled to happen at Carson’s Dignity Health Sports Park, California, without an audience.

MIKE TYSON VS ROY JONES JR

An article from The Ring indicated that Tyson ‘s management thought that by postponing the battle until Thanksgiving weekend, they would increase sales. However, an ESPN report indicated that the problem was actually that more time was required to negotiate foreign TV deals and work out final pay-per-view specifics. The arrangements for the fight have not yet been formally updated, according to ESPN.

There is also one important detail to keep in mind, Sept. 12 was initially the scheduled date of the next fight of Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez until Tyson vs. Jones took over the position, so, his would now leave the popular boxing date seemingly still left available.

After withdrawing from the sport in 2005, Tyson, now 54, is expected to make his boxing debut in the exhibition match.  According to Chris Mannix, Sports Illustrated, a longtime Heavyweight holder, Tyson, has received many multimillion-dollar offers in recent months for when he gets into shape, such as one from Evander Holyfield. Holyfield faced Tyson in the 1990s in two prominent battles.

Roy Jones, now 51 and a former 4 weight World Champion last fought against Scott Sigmon in 2018, ending in a majority decision win. Jones spent over 29 years competing in 75 professional bouts, resulting in 66 victories and nine defeats.

With the announcement of the new date on Tuesday, they have revealed new matches on the undercard, which so far are, Badou Jack vs. Blake McKernan and Vidal Riley vs. Rashad Coulter would follow the Jake Paul vs. Nate Robinson clash on the list heading into the main event.

In this case, the show is set to take place at Dignity Health Sports Park in California and is expected to broadcast on the usual pay-per-view and social networking platform Triller. The California State Athletic Commission would approve the event. At this point, executive director Andy Foster added that they can’t confuse the public that this is any form of actual combat. Thus, it was clear that participants are supposed to stop ‘using their best attempts to injure one another.”

The card, which is being promoted as ‘FRONTLINE War’, could very well earn the name ‘FRONTLINE Flop’ is fans aren’t entertained enough by paying to see an exhibition, albeit involving 2 boxing legends.

Andy Foster, president of the California State Athletic Commission, said the show should be little more than a rough sparring exercise, and that the combatants “shouldn’t go for a knockout.”

Talking last month, Andy Forster also said: “This is not a case where they are heading out there and attempt and tear off each other’s hands“.

Tyson, who feels “unstoppable and primed for battle” again, still doesn’t seem to have received the message and is gunning for a knockout. “It is digging and killing, and I look forward to taking back my pride,” Tyson told TMZ Sports. When questioned about a knockout, he replied: “Whenever the time arrives, (for the knockout) I will still be waiting for it.”

Tyson holds on a great shark as part of a TV contest for ‘Shark Week’ on Sunday evening, but before he and Jones lock jaws for the first time ever. Let’s hope there is no biting by any of them here.

While the reality of both legends not actually being able to ‘go at it’ would upset many people, it makes a lot of sense since they have both been out of the pro game for some time and are both above 50 years of age. Jones Jr, who is slightly younger than Tyson, has to be seen to have a slight advantage as he hasn’t been as inactive for as long as Tyson as.

Unfortunately, fans have to wait another month and a half to see Tyson and Jones back on the big stage, but hopefully, it’ll be worth the wait … And if it’s a bit of a farce come battle time. Meanwhile, we will tune in to watch Tyson battle some sharks … No, no … Really … Google it.

Stay Connected

Latest News

Floyd Mayweather v Logan Paul no smoke boxing news
Marchroom Boxing announce some major cards no smoke boxing news
Alexander Povetkin knocks out Dillian Whyte no smoke boxing news
Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin fight no smoke boxing news
Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin winner no smoke boxing news
1

Advertisement