Canelo Alvarez vs. Christian M’billi: Press Conference Time and First Face-Off Details

Canelo Alvarez and Christian M’billi will meet today, Friday, May 23, 2026, for a launch press conference in Cairo, Egypt, to officially announce their upcoming WBC super middleweight championship fight. The event, which kicks off at 2 PM local time, marks the first face-off between the two pugilists ahead of their September clash in Riyadh. Fans can access the media session live on DAZN as the promotion for “Mexico Against the World” begins.

The press conference is timed for 12 PM in the United Kingdom and 7 AM ET in the United States. Following the formal announcement by His Excellency Turki Alalshikh and Riyadh Season, the fighters will outline their preparations for the Riyadh bout scheduled for September 12, 2026. This fight represents a legacy-defining moment for both men, as Alvarez seeks to reclaim the title he previously held.

Alvarez is currently working his way back from a hiatus caused by injury. Terence Crawford has mentioned Canelo Alvarez and his potential retirement previously, but the Mexican star remains steadfast in his desire to compete at the highest level. After undergoing elbow surgery, he is focused on his return to the ring to face a champion four years his junior.

Christian M’billi views Alvarez fight as the fight of the decade

Christian M’billi, the 31-year-old Cameroonian-French champion, enters this promotion with the confidence of an undefeated fighter. He assumed the full WBC super middleweight title in January 2026 after it was vacated. Reflecting on his career trajectory, M’billi said, “My last fight was fight of the year. In September, against Canelo Alvarez, it will be the fight of the decade.”

The reigning champion was last seen in the ring fighting to a split-decision draw against Lester Martinez. Remarkably, that contest took place on the undercard of the high-profile Canelo vs. Crawford event. Some analysts believe Christian M’billi presents a challenge for Alvarez due to his activity and physical pressure, especially as he looks to secure what he calls a “historic victory.”

Training out of Canada, M’billi has built a record of 29-0-1 with 24 knockouts. He is widely regarded for his relentless style, which he believes will be enough to overcome the experience of a four-division world champion. The first face-off in Cairo today will likely set the tone for the psychological battle leading into the fall.

Canelo Alvarez returns to training following surgery

Canelo Alvarez, who turned professional at the age of 15, is now a 20-year veteran of the sport with a record of 63-2-2 (or 62-3-2 depending on the agency) and 39 knockouts. Despite his tenure, he insists his motivation remains unchanged. “My focus is always on my preparation, performance, and giving the fans another great night of boxing,” Alvarez stated regarding the upcoming bout.

The 35-year-old recently opened a new training facility in San Diego alongside his manager and coach Eddie Reynoso. Addressing his time away from the ring, Alvarez explained that he had to address specific injuries. “I had to take care of my body,” he said, noting that while he wished he could fight sooner, the recovery time from his elbow surgery was necessary for his performance.

Interest in the Mexican icon remains high globally. His previous fight against Terence Crawford reportedly drew over 41 million viewers on Netflix, illustrating his continued status as a massive commercial draw. By taking this fight to Riyadh, Alvarez returns to a region where he previously secured a unanimous decision victory over William Scull at the ANB Arena.

Future of the super middleweight division at stake

The September 12 date in Riyadh is significant, falling just one day shy of the anniversary of Alvarez’s loss to Crawford. For the Mexican superstar, winning back the WBC super middleweight title is the primary objective of this new chapter. He will have to do so against a younger, hungry champion who is already looking past the press conference toward a defining win.

As the “Mexico Against the World” event takes shape, the boxing world is monitoring several key matchups in the division. For instance, the upcoming Vincenzo Gualtieri vs. Amari Jones eliminator could determine future contenders for the winner of this September clash. For now, the focus remains on Cairo and the first public meeting between Alvarez and M’billi.

Frequently Asked Questions

What time is the Canelo vs. M’billi press conference today?

The press conference is scheduled for Friday, May 23, 2026, at 2 PM local time in Cairo, Egypt. This is 12 PM in the UK and 7 AM ET in the US. The event will be streamed live on DAZN.

When and where is the fight between Canelo and M’billi?

The WBC Super Middleweight Championship fight is scheduled for September 12, 2026. It will take place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, organized by His Excellency Turki Alalshikh as part of Riyadh Season.

What are the professional records of Canelo Alvarez and Christian M’billi?

Christian M’billi is undefeated with a record of 29-0-1 and 24 KOs. Canelo Alvarez holds a record of 63-2-2 (or 62-3-2) with 39 KOs and has been a professional for 20 years.

Copy link