Callum Smith Welcomes Team Buatsi/Matchroom To Offer Him A Fight With Buatsi Before Title Shot
Former world super middleweight champion, Liverpool’s Callum Smith (29-1, 21 KOs) told IFL TV that he is open to considering an offer to fight unbeaten domestic rival Joshua Buatsi (16-0, 13 KOs) next.
Smith is the WBC’s mandatory challenger at a 175-pounds and is guaranteed the winner of Artur Beterbiev vs Anthony Yarde, which takes place on Jan 28 in Wembley, with no exceptions.
Buatsi had previously told boxing media that their promoters, Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing, had proposed a fight between them.
Representatives of Smith’s management, STN Sports, indicated that a Smith vs Buatsi fight was unlikely to occur. Nevertheless, Smith has now revealed he is willing to risk his shot in a battle with Buatsi.
“I want a fight (before the Beterbiev Yarde winner). If his team wants to make me an offer, it’s an offer I’ll consider. I haven’t had any offers. I want to fight in March and then roll into the world title.”
Smith told IFL TV that he wants to return in March before facing the Beterbiev Yarde winner, Hearn confirmed via Twitter yesterday that Matchroom would be staging a show in Liverpool on March 11 which is likely to be Smith’s fight date.
The world #1 challenged his promoter and team Buatsi to offer him a fight against the Londoner and confirmed he would be considering it.
Whether an offer will be made or not is yet to be seen especially with the possibility of Matchroom/DAZN having the chance to stage both Beterbiev Smith and Dmitry Bivol – Buatsi because Bivol will need an interim fight before a contracted Canelo rematch.
Also Read; Fury vs Chisora 3 Undercard: Full Breakdown