WBO May Order Daniel Dubois to Face Moses Itauma Despite Rematch Clause

WBO President Gustavo Olivieri has indicated that the World Boxing Organization (WBO) may order Daniel Dubois to defend his heavyweight title against mandatory challenger Moses Itauma. This potential directive comes despite Fabio Wardley activating a contractual rematch clause for an immediate second fight with Dubois.

Daniel Dubois secured the WBO heavyweight title in May 2026 after stopping Fabio Wardley in the 11th round at the Co-op Live Arena in Manchester. While Wardley has initiated his right to a rematch, Olivieri told The Ring magazine that “rematches are not binding to the WBO.” He emphasized that the 21-year-old Itauma currenty holds the No. 1 mandatory position.

The situation creates a promotional headache for Frank Warren, who represents both Daniel Dubois and Moses Itauma. Warren has stated he expects Dubois to return to the ring by the end of November 2026 at the latest. However, the WBO’s refusal to recognize private rematch clauses could force Dubois to choose between fighting his mandatory challenger or vacating the championship belt.

Moses Itauma and the mandatory title path

Moses Itauma has emerged as a formidable force in the heavyweight division, carrying an undefeated record of 14-0 with 12 knockouts. His recent form includes a first-round stoppage of Dillian Whyte last year and a fifth-round knockout of Jermaine Franklin in March 2026. These victories solidified his status as the WBO’s No. 1-ranked contender.

The young prospect has already confirmed his return to action on August 8, 2026, at The O2 Arena in London. While his opponent for that date is not finalized, Filip Hrgovic has been mooted as a potential foe, provided Hrgovic defeated Dave Allen on May 16. Other names linked to Itauma include Murat Gassiev and Andy Ruiz Jr., though these remain reports rather than confirmed matchups.

Any delay in a title shot could impact the career trajectory of Itauma, who once aimed to break Mike Tyson’s record for the youngest heavyweight champion. Although he later acknowledged that specific goal was impossible, his No. 1 ranking with both the WBO and WBA makes him a priority for sanctioning bodies. If order prevails, Dubois may find himself facing a younger, fresher stablemate instead of a familiar rival.

Fabio Wardley seeks immediate redemption in rematch

Fabio Wardley remains determined to reverse the result of his Manchester loss, where he dropped Dubois in the first and third rounds before the 11th-round stoppage. Following the bout, Wardley did not require hospital treatment and has been recovering from facial injuries. He told Sky Sports that he made “mistakes” he intends to rectify in a second encounter.

But the logistics of a rematch are further complicated by shared personnel. Both Wardley and Itauma train under Ben Davison, a factor that Wardley previously noted made a fight between him and Itauma “an impossibility.” If the WBO enforces the mandatory defense against Itauma, it would place the trainer in a difficult position or force a delay in Wardley’s championship ambitions.

While some fans look toward other major heavyweight fixtures, such as Tyson Fury’s scheduled return, the focus for the WBO remains on its internal rankings. Promoter Frank Warren suggested a Wardley rematch could happen as late as 2027 if the legal and sanctioning hurdles are not cleared quickly. For now, the champion sits at a crossroads between contractual obligations and organizational rules.

The impact of WBO rules on heavyweight rankings

WBO regulations generally dictate that a champion must face a mandatory challenger or risk losing the title. While world title unifications, such as a potential bout with Oleksandr Usyk, typically take precedence over mandatory defenses, a standard rematch clause does not hold the same weight. This policy ensures that top-ranked contenders like Itauma are not sidelined indefinitely by long-running rivalries.

If Daniel Dubois is officially ordered to face Itauma, the parties would likely enter a negotiation period to determine the terms. Should Dubois refuse the mandatory in favor of Wardley, the WBO would be within its rights to declare the title vacant. This would lead to Itauma fighting the next available ranked contender for the unoccupied championship.

The following months will determine if the heavyweight division sees a domestic rematch or the crowning of a new era. With Dubois holding a record of 23-3 and 22 KOs, he remains a powerful champion, but the 21-year-old Itauma is no longer content to wait in the wings. For Fabio Wardley, the path back to the gold now depends on the WBO’s final ruling.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is the WBO not required to honor Fabio Wardley’s rematch clause?

WBO President Gustavo Olivieri has stated that private rematch clauses are not binding to the sanctioning body. The WBO operates under its own regulations, which prioritize the rights of the No. 1-ranked mandatory challenger over private agreements made between two individual fighters.

When will Moses Itauma fight next?

Moses Itauma is officially confirmed to fight on August 8, 2026, at The O2 Arena in London. While an opponent has not been finalized, Filip Hrgovic was mooted as a possible candidate conditional on his performance in May, while Murat Gassiev and Andy Ruiz Jr. have also been linked to the date.

What is Daniel Dubois’ current professional record?

As of May 2026, Daniel Dubois holds a professional boxing record of 23 wins and 3 losses, with 22 of those victories coming by way of knockout. He became the WBO heavyweight champion after stopping Fabio Wardley in Manchester earlier this year.

Copy link